Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Triskaidekaphobia


triskaidekaphobia: fear of the number 13

Yep. That's me. I have that. I hate "13". This year solidified it for me.

I can remember when I turned "13" my Mom said to me, "You will most likely cry almost every day of the next 365 days." She was right. Thirteen stunk. Fourteen was so much better.  Everything kind of began to even out, and I began to know what to expect of being a "teenager".  

If I could go back to the beginning of 2013 and give myself a bit of advice it would be very similar to my Mom's advice when I was 13, "You will most likely cry almost every day of the next 365 days."  2013 was not a year for the faint of heart. However, we surpassed every hurdle, survived every "bump" in the road and are now all the stronger for it.  2014 will even out. 

*I think we had to replace 45 gazillion tires. Yes, 45 gazillion. Every single time we replaced one we seemed to lose another one, it really became quite comical, well except to the wallet, anyway.  

* Julio was in a pretty bad car accident and totaled our Volvo.  However, he survived with only a few bruises and soreness. We credit the Volvo tremendously for that, it really took quite an impact.

*The loss of the Volvo (we only had minimum coverage, because although it looked pretty terrific it was about 12 years old) left us with only one vehicle for awhile. This was tremendously trying and stressful. However, with the assistance of some pretty terrific angels in our lives we were able to replace it with a Nissan Xterra.

*Finances were quite difficult this year. We took a couple of steps back in order to take some big steps forward in the coming years. This isn't unique to us, this is life, this is what a lot of people go through. I sold my favorite camera to help us through some tight spots. What I learned form that is, while I miss it terribly (oh so very much!), it will be replaced. It's just STUFF. I would do it again in a heartbeat. You do what you have to do to help your family. They are what matters. They are ALL that matters.  This too shall pass.

*Julio also had some pretty major health scares. I will never forget when he called me from his Dr's office to tell me if I didn't come get him they were going to be sending him by ambulance to the hospital.  They feared he was having a heart attack.  One heart cath and several other tests later we learned his arteries and heart were in excellent condition. This scare did have a pretty terrific side effect, however: Julio made the decision to have gastric bypass.  He is now down 50 pounds and off almost all his medications.  He will most likely be taken off his diabetic pump during 2014 and will also no longer need a CPAP machine. I am so over the moon proud of him, I cannot adequately put it into words.

Looking back over these tribulations I can't help but notice they did have silver linings. That is all one can ever hope for, isn't it?  

These trials and tribulations are all just a part of life. I am blessed beyond measure with amazing, talented, fun, loving children and a husband that lifts me up, supports me, loves me even when I am most difficult, and pushes me to be a better wife, mother, sister, daughter, employee and friend. 

2013 was not all bad, I did, finally, figure out what I wanted to be when I grow up: a funeral director. I went back to school and began enjoying my career more than I ever thought possible. I no longer get that sense of dread on Sunday nights that has plagued me much of my adult life.  I am fulfilled in ways I never dreamed possible.  I am surrounded at work by some of the most amazing people I have ever met. They are dedicated to serving, growing, learning and not only taking care of the families we serve, but taking care of each other.  I am fortunate to be part of an amazing team and do not take it for granted. I am grateful beyond words that I was lead to this career, with this company, at this time in my life. It is where I was meant to be and what I was meant to do.

What is my biggest "take away" from 2013? Always keep moving forward, it always gets better. As the song lyrics go: 


If your going through hell
Keep on going, don't slow down
If you're scared don't show it
You might get out
Before the devil even knows you're there

Yeah, If you're going through hell
Keep on moving, face that fire
Walk right through it
You might get out
Before the devil even knows you're there

So come on 2014, give me your best shot, I am stronger, I am wiser, and I am ready for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry you had a crappy year, seems a lot of my friends did this year :(
but if nothing else we learn from it and it makes us stronger.

Happy New Year Mandy, Julio and Family!