Sunday, June 19, 2011

3 Years, Already?


"You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes."

Author: Walter M. Schirra, Sr.

 I can hardly believe another year has passed, my sweet baby boy turned 3 this past week.  I've said it before, but wow, what fun boys are!  My little guy will tell you and anyone that asks he is "Momma's Boy" (not to be confused with a momma boy).  He is loving, cuddly and just an overall sweet kid.  Of course Julio will tell you my opinion is slightly colored as apparently Zach has learned he needs only have one person in his corner and that's his Mom.  


Julio will rebuke him and he will cozy up to me and try and give me this big cheesy grin as if to say, "c'mon Mom, it's ME? Remember? I can do this, or get away with that, right?"  I hate to admit it but I do melt, every.single.time.  I do not however always give in.  I do quite often break his little heart and send him to time outs as well.


I have enjoyed watching my little boy grow and develop his favorite things.  Around the time he turned 2 his favorite movie was "Annie".  He would come home from his Dad's, or anywhere for that matter, and would immediately starting shouting for "Annie".  This phase passed and "Alvin and the Chimpmunks the Squeakual" took it's place.  Next came "Jaws".  Yes, my two year old (and his 3 year old sister) have fallen in love with this horror flick.  I'm not sure whether to be frightened or proud of the fact they simply watch to movie and laugh at the special effects.  




 Around Christmas time, Zach's favorite became Thomas the tank engine and Chuggington.  This lasted about six months, though he still likes Thomas, he discovered Buzz Lightyear was pretty cool, and now the current favorite is definitely "Cars", specifically "Mater".  This brings us to his birthday that was filled with all things "Mater".  Luckily "Cars" memorabilia are much, much cheaper than Thomas paraphernalia.  I only wonder what will be next.  Currently his room is decorated in Gamecock gear, a train table that is covered in Thomas the Train, army men, Buzz Lightyear and dinosaurs.  Oh the difference between girls and boys.  I have relished every moment of watching him develop and become more of a little boy and less of a baby boy.  After years of baby dolls, Disney Princesses, pink, pink and more pink, it has been a lot of fun to welcome, cars, trucks, and trains into my life.  Everyone told me boys were so different, especially in the way they love their Momma's.  I am so glad to be able to say they are so right.  The love between a mother and a son is one of life's treasures.  Don't get me wrong a mother and a daughter have a special bond, but there is just something about a son.




Happy 3rd Birthday, baby boy!

"Build me a son, O Lord, who will be strong enough to know when he is weak, and brave enough to face himself when he is afraid, one who will be proud and unbending in honest defeat, and humble and gentle in victory."

Author: Douglas MacArthur

No comments: