Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Thunderstorms and Bubblebaths

So I have had this debate with more than one person. Is it safe to take a bath or a shower during a thunderstorm? I was always told "NO WAY"! But Julio and one of my friends both say they have never heard that this is unsafe. 


Now, to be fair, I had a very overprotective Aunt that always had the Weather Channel on. Perhaps this is where I got my information. Or perhaps it was from my Grandmother. I am really not sure. I just know it is ingrained in me that baths, water, etc do NOT mix well with thunderstorms.  


I have done a little research and it seems you can find evidence on either side. Julio says this was probably true before pipes were primarily made of plastic, which I can see. But I just know what a great conductor of electricity water can be.


So which is it? What do you think and why? Help me out, my most trusted advisors!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't like to tempt fate so I try to avoid water during heavy lightning. I actually know someone who was struck in the shower. He lived but he NEVER gets in the shower during storms anymore, LOL. I'll take his word for it. But the chances are probably low. Lightning can strike you anywhere.

Musing Madman said...

OK. I would say that the old timers actually had a point with this old wives tale. The old houses were built with metal tubs, copper pipes and antennas and lightening rods on top...all a recipe for disaster when you add water and electricity. So I can actually see where this comes from. However, given the fact that now a days we build houses with plastic tubs, pvc pipes and we have cable running under ground rather than a huge antenna on top of the house, I would say that this is no longer a real danger. The defense rests.

Jay said...

My first reaction would be that it is safe and I've never even considered that it isn't. But, a quick google search tells me that it might not be.

In fact, John Jensenius, a meteorologist with the NWS says that it probably isn't! Scroll down to the bath/shower during a storm question:

http://is.gd/bUkzg