Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Do You Have a Webcam?

I saw a story this weekend that just amazed me, although perhaps I'm being a bit naive (ha, wouldn't be the first time!). Seems a school district in Lower Merim, Pennsylvania is being sued by a 17 year old student. Apparently this school district supplies all 2300 students enrolled in its two high schools with laptops. These laptops include web cams and programming that allows the administration to activate them at any point.

The school district claims it only uses this technology to locate stolen or lost computers. Uh huh. Then why was Blake Robbins summoned to the office by an assistant principal to discuss inappropriate behavior he exhibited while at home, with, photo proof?

It should come as no surprise that the school district is completely denying the incident. Apparently the FBI is getting involved to try to sort out the truth. I am thinking that if this did happen, and I tend to think it did, it is most definitely not the first time.

My advice? If you have a company or school owned computer...cover up the webcam with a piece of tape. It is the only way to be certain you aren't being watched.

5 comments:

Doc said...

How can they be denying it if there is photo proof?

Anonymous said...

That's so creepy. I would be so pissed if I found out I was under surveillance.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Oh, if that were my kid, I'd be owning the school by the time they got finished with me.

DILLIGAF said...

1984 was a wee bit late arriving eh?

We have more public surveillance camera's in England than any other country on the planet.

The other day someone was fined for sticking two fingers up at one - I kid you not.

Surprisingly it wasn't me. They must be looking the other way when I do it...;-)

Jay said...

This is beyond outrageous. There are going to be so many lawsuits. And some people just might end up going to jail. Who the EF! thinks things like this are good ideas? And who goes along with stuff like this? Crazy.